Wild Rice Breadsticks
- 1 cup cooked wild rice (add 2/3 cup well-rinsed, uncooked rice to 2 1/2 cup water. Add 1 tsp. salt if desired) and boil until rice is tender and has absorbed the water. (Rice should be tender but not mushy, and kernels should not be “rolled back”).
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup water, 105 to 115 degrees F
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup good quality vegetable oil, grape-seed oil or olive oil
- 4 to 4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour oil for baking sheet
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
- coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In bowl, combine rice, 2 tsp. salt, water, sugar, yeast. Stir to blend. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams. Stir in oil and flour one cup at a time until mix is stiff. Let rest 15 minutes. Turn on to board; divide into 16 pieces. Roll each piece to make a rope 16-20 inches long. Roll sticks in oil and place on baking sheets. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned and crisp.