Burial Fund History:
The Bois Forte Burial Fund was established by the Bois Forte Tribal Government in December of 2005 and was designed to help pay funeral expenses for Bois Forte Band Members.
The Bois Forte Burial Fund was established to provide financial assistance toward funeral costs to assure a dignified burial for Bois Forte Band Members and assistance to the family in a time of need.
Who is eligible for the Bois Forte Burial Fund?
Deceased enrolled Band Members of the Bois Forte Band of Chippewa, or a deceased child who is eligible for enrollment into the Bois Forte Band who dies prior to completing the enrollment process.
How do I apply for assistance when a member dies?
The family must appoint a representative or designate an immediate family member of the deceased to contact the Bois Forte Tribal Enrollment Coordinator located at the Bois Forte Tribal Government office in Nett Lake, Minnesota. The phone numbers are 1-218-757-3261, 1-800-221-8129, 1-218-248- 0581 or 1-218-248-0637. In the event there is not an appointed representative or family member, the next of kin will be accepted to act as the deceased's representative in the matter of the Bois Forte Burial Fund.
What is a Designated Representative?
A designated representative of the deceased is the person who is named in a will, living will, health care directive, or appointed immediate family member making the funeral arrangement s. In the absence of such a designation, the order of priority for the representative of the decedent shall be, in this order, spouse, child (oldest to youngest), parent, siblings or other next of kin.
The Bois Forte Burial Fund will pay directly to the funeral home of choice, a maximum of $6,000.00 for funeral related costs. The family or designated representative of the deceased is responsible for any costs over $6,000.00.
What services are covered by the fund?
Funeral Home Services and Expenses offered by the identified funeral home with costs as established by the Funeral Homes General Price List (GPL) to include:
- Funeral Home Director fee and/or services
- Initial removal of the deceased to the funeral home
- Funeral arrangements
- Filing of necessary authorizations, permits, recording of vital statistics, and the preparation and placement of obituary notices (this does not include newspaper printing cost)
- Recording vital statistics
- Embalming and other care; dressing, casketing, and any restorative work or cosmetics
- Provision of the funeral coach/van if requested for the funeral service
- Conduction of the funeral service/visitation
- Choice of registration book (guest book)
- Choice of memorial folders
- Choice of thank you cards
- Choice of casket
- Visitation at the Bois Forte Reservation the evening prior to the funeral or tribal rites
- Temporary metal graveside marker at the cemetery
- Cremation or Traditional services and choice of urn
- Transportation of the deceased from another city or state is an allowable cost with the understanding that this cost is included in the $6,000.00 budget limit
Should the family select a casket and services less than $6,000.00, the balance may be applied towards the purchase of a cemetery headstone or marker. Any combined selection of funeral services and headstone expenses that exceed $6,000.00, will be the responsibility of the deceased's family.
What documents are needed for funeral costs to be paid?
The following documents need to be submitted for payment to occur:
- A completed Burial Fund Application
- Statement from funeral home handling service, obituary, a copy of the death certificate or documentation that death was reported to a vital statistics recorder
- Itemized invoice from funeral home, and itemized invoice for the headstone (If applicable) **Please be aware that the headstone may not be covered. The cost must be included in the $6,000.00 allowed**
What information is needed to establish eligibility for the deceased?
The following information is required:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of the death
- Date of birth
- Name of funeral home
- Name and phone number of the designated representative for the deceased
To whom is the payment is made?
The cost of the funeral expenses, casket, and other related costs, shall be paid directly to the chosen funeral home within 30 days upon the Enrollment Coordinator's receipt of an itemized billing statement.
Headstone expenses will be paid directly to the monument firm within 30 days after the receipt of an itemized billing statement.
Spiritual advisor or clergy stipend:
*Deceased must be eligible for the Funeral Home expense portion of the Burial Fund*
A $350.00 spiritual advisor or clergy stipend shall be made payable directly to the spiritual advisor or clergy. If the spiritual advisor or clergy has an assistant, the assistant shall be paid $175.00. Maximum amount paid for Spiritual Advisor or Clergy and assistant(s) shall not exceed $525.00.
All other expenses incurred shall be the responsibility of the family.
* Verification of Death occurrence must be provided before payment is made*
The deceased must be eligible for the Funeral Home expense portion of the Burial Fund or the designated representative must be immediate family of the deceased and be an enrolled member of the Bois Forte Band of Chippewa. There will be only one stipend issued per family of the deceased. The maximum amount of funeral related expenses received from the Bois Forte Tribal Government Funeral Fund shall not exceed $500.00 per family.
After the designated representative completes the Burial Fund application and the completed application and verification of death is received by the Enrollment Coordinator, the Tribal Government shall make available a stipend in the amount of $500.00. Such stipend shall be paid by check to the designated representative.
The stipend is intended to assist the family with expenses for food, travel, lodging, clothing and other miscellaneous expenses.
Services not covered by the Bois Forte Burial Fund:
Any cash advance items listed on the itemized billing *For a list of cash advance items, please ask the funeral home*
If services and/or merchandise are less than the amount(s) set forth in this policy, any unused money shall not be transferable or paid to the family or the designated representative of the deceased.
The Bois Forte Tribal Government assumes no liability for any costs related to an individual's funeral or burial in excess of the benefits provided in this policy.
The Bois Forte Tribal Government may, at its sole discretion and without further notice to Band Members, amend or terminate the burial fund program if it is deemed to be harmful l to the Band' s financial condition or for any other reason.
All claims must be filed within 60 days of the Date of Death.